Skip to main content

I Hate Ripped Jeans

 I mean, the exaggerated ones


Photo by Nadine Shaabana on Unsplash

I came from a private Catholic school where decency, especially elegance is constantly observed and strictly imposed. We were not allowed to wear clothes that reveal slight skin or navel, flamboyant earrings, make-up, and torn jeans. We were trained and always reminded to be simple but elegant at the same time.

My classmates hated the proper dress code and taught it hilarious and too formal. I’m fine with the school’s rules and regulations though. It’s no big deal for me so I just followed through, except with sleeveless tops because I also want to show a bit of skin on my shoulders and arms sometimes, sorry.

I hate ripped jeans not only as a result of coming from a conservative school but because I also understood the importance of being decent-looking. If others find ripped jeans cool, I find them cheap.

I believe anyone can be cool even without conforming to the fashion trend of shabbiness. Personally, elegance weighs more than being cool. Elegance commands respect and value, whilst awesome fashion trends can be nice, but you just end up being ingenuine for wearing the common nonchalant styles in the present.

Why did I claim that wearing distressed jeans is a total thumbs down?

 

1. I am not a high-street dancer

I am terrible at dancing hip-hop, or any dance grooves, and I have observed that street dancers wear such jeans. Funk and breakdancing are not me and I am not into them. I am not one of them, so I will not wear them.

 

2. It signifies insolence

I normally see girls who wear ripped jeans throw shades at their fellow ladies in my hometown. There are also instances when they initiate an unpleasantly scandalous fight in public. It appears as if they are not well-educated that they impulsively resort to physical chaos instead of proper communication. It is just mortifying along with shouting bad or profane words to the other. I disapprove of such an attitude as I am also a lady who strongly believes in the power of women. I do not like us being rude to each other. After learning that ripped jeans express rebellion and anger, I began to oppose wearing them myself.


3. It’s not fancy

I love wearing tops that match well with my pants to make me look pretty. Frankly, tattered jeans cannot comply with what I need. I also do not feel comfortable wearing it because it doesn’t look good on my short legs. It does not help raise my confidence because it’s not adorable.


4. Torn jeans are messy

It is not clean to look at. It represents carelessness as if I do not mind if I look presentable or not. I trust that a well-groomed lady instantly becomes respectable if she is neatly dressed.


5. It lowers the good impression

I feel like I cannot automatically order respect if I wear ripped jeans. It might send a message to the people around me that they can easily make insulting jokes or make fun of me because they think I have the same character as theirs. I am not a comical type, but I also have a sense of humor and I know where to place it according to the setting.


6. It’s not very “me”

Ripped jeans do not speak of my character. It will conflict with how I want to present myself to the people around me. It is out of my signature look. I love being myself. Who I am is manifested in my appearance, thus I do not tolerate untidiness. 


I am not narcissistic as you might think. As a Communication Arts student practicing creative means of imparting information whether verbally or non-verbally, I am conscious of choosing how I dress. This is not merely about impressing people by exquisiteness but gaining their trust by building up a good image of myself through decent attire. Even if I go out and attend a casual event, I do not wear ripped jeans. Instead, I put on non-ripped jeans or a trouser and match it with tops I find pretty, then I’m good to go. Plus, communication is my field, and it sums up to reasons why I must be dressed properly because I may be facing potential people who are probably professionals. I suppose my being a well-dressed person along with my communication skills might allure them into trusting me.

We all have different tastes in dressing ourselves and hence, I will not push everyone to hate ripped jeans as I do. Besides, jeans will never go out of style. If you think it makes you beautiful and confident, keep wearing it.

I wrote this article to share what I think of wearing ripped jeans and others might relate. I also wore ripped jeans before, but they didn’t work out to my taste. There is nothing wrong with our choices of pants whether it is torn or not. In the end, it’s still your preference that matters which will holistically define what your vision yourself to be. You can follow the fashion trends however you like as long as you are comfortable and confident with them. You know what is beautiful in you and you should believe in it all the time. Being yourself starts from knowing what you want for yourself and that includes how you put on clothes according to your image and likeness. 

 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Bridgerton Series: Is Lady Featherington a Good Mother?

          Photo source: Screen grabbed from Bridgerton Season 2/Netflix   Lady Portia Featherington is an iconic ambitious Ton momma. She is infamous to the Bridgerton fans because of her hard work in securing her daughters’ future through her ingenious schemes of putting them into a scandal with a bachelor she prefers. Lady Featherington is scared of a poor life that’s why she works harder to keep her family afloat after discovering that they are “broke” because of her husband’s gambling problems that even their daughters’ dowries were ventured away. Every mother knows and wants the best for her children, especially for their daughter/s. Ton mommas indeed push for marrying off their daughters to a man with enormous wealth and good title. Lady Featherington is after the security of their status in their fashionable society. So, is Lady Featherington a good momma?   Or I suppose, the question should be: Is Lady Featheringto

This Is Why Cheaters Don't Deserve Forgiveness

    Photo by Keira Burton on Pexels I was asked, “ Can you forgive a cheater?” Love indeed makes people do stupid things like forgiving a cheater. Yes, it is ridiculous. And no, I don’t think cheaters deserve forgiveness from the person they cheated on. Forgiveness is not easy.  Girls, let me tell you this: Cheaters are not entitled to your mercy and forgiveness. Cheaters are never guilty of what they did because they only think of their happiness and pleasure. Some people were confused: what if the cheater was sorry for what he did? Girl, he shouldn’t have hurt you in the first place if he did love you. Some guys only realize their mistake once done. They may feel guilty, but they feel good about it. Undoubtedly, he might do it again.  Yet, if you wish to accept him back into your life, my unsolicited advice would be: better not. You cannot be friends with him or anything. Ditch your memories of him. Do not let him return to your life. He doesn’t deserve you. Or, even if he has no pla